NeoTicker Forums  

Go Back   NeoTicker Forums > Trading Related > Trading Systems

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 228 votes, 4.09 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Oddball System

Discussion thread for Oddball system implemented in NeoTicker.

Oddball System - An Update.

Better OddBall System.

Last edited by forum; 01-18-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Regular User

In looking at the Daily Filter I noticed it can sometimes keep you short and not allow long trades in a particularly strong market even when the ROC is strong...whle the filter still works better with than without it - it could be frustrating.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:10 PM

A possible modification is to keep track of the original signal and then enter the trade when the stochastic reading change its direction.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
mark brown

oddball system enhancement

there have been some successful ideas of using a channel breakout system in conjunction with the signals. different length channels could be used for each side both buy and sell. mb
Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark brown
there have been some successful ideas of using a channel breakout system in conjunction with the signals. different length channels could be used for each side both buy and sell. mb
Hey Mark Brown,

Are you the great (and infamous) Mark Brown of many trading forums over the last decade. I haven't noticed that you've posted a lot recently anywhere.

If you are, in fact, THE Mark Brown, welcome to the NeoTicker forum. Well, welcome to the NeoTicker forum even if you're not THE Mark Brown.

But if you are THE great (and infamous) Mark Brown and you are unfamiliar with NeoTicker and would like a quick overview, you name the date and time and I would be honored to provide you (and others as well) with a webinar overview of NeoTicker features.

Last edited by asptrader; 10-09-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Mark Brown,

I say the odds are 10 to 1 that NeoTicker's new User Defined Superposition (aka BarType) functionality could be leveraged by someone of your experience to improve the performance of Odd Ball.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
mark brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by asptrader
Mark Brown,

I say the odds are 10 to 1 that NeoTicker's new User Defined Superposition (aka BarType) functionality could be leveraged by someone of your experience to improve the performance of Odd Ball.
i programmed the equal range bars for ts some time ago, how would your function compare? i take it that the function will allow non time based plotting of the bars? ps i am "the mark brown"
Old 10-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Regular User

NeoTicker has a very extensive list of bar types included. Check the box "superposition" and select the style from the dropdown. It also allows users to program their own superposition style. There are several variations of price range bars included in the package as it ships (Momentum, Price Range) and programmers can build their own if they prefer using an API provided by NeoTicker. There are many bar styles included in the default list and only a few are time-based.

Programming custom bar styles in TradeStation involves quite a bit of what most people would describe as "work-around" work, and usually they end up being drawn on the screen rather than actually being data bars to which other analysis can be applied. So, if you want an SMA or a strategy etc. you have to build that into your own bar logic which for exploring a large number of ideas is a complete nightmare. In comparison, NeoTicker actually supports both a large number of built-in and an unlimited number of user-defined bar styles, and the resulting bars can be the subject of any built-in or custom indicator without any further ado.

Compared to NeoTicker, TradeStation's bar style capabilities are extremely primitive, and alternative bar types in TradeStation implemented by advanced programmers are usually for visualization only (since they're unavailable for analysis techniques to be applied to) and therefore of extremely limited utility.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
i programmed the equal range bars for ts some time ago, how would your function compare? i take it that the function will allow non time based plotting of the bars? ps i am "the mark brown"
Hi Mark,

Bruce's description upthread about NeoTicker Superposition Styles (aka "BarTypes") is very good. Both "out-of-the-box" and user programmable bartypes possible. Both of those types of bars can have their series values used within indicators and systems.

Gosh I'm getting old. I forget the year, but do you remember that Friday night - Saturday morning when you posted all that code to the OmegaList as "THE CODE"? I was there watching it all come through, mesmerized, like others, by the audaciousness of your posting source code for things like an MACD that none of us had ever seen before.

Are you still using TS?

For those reading this thread who never encountered Mark on the internet. Among a significant number of other trading related accomplishments Mark is responsible for, I can't recall EVER seeing anyone being more aggressive than Mark in revealing and castigating charlatans and rip off artists in the trading industry. You either hated him or loved him. The Cruz brothers hated him... You were talking about the bouncing tick fill problem in what year Mark? 1997?

Last edited by asptrader; 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
mark brown

;)

"the code" he was a wild one that incarnation. "the savant", "mr. eccentric", research department" and others all had their purpose and served their master well. many note my absence for several years, but i have learned to be a little smarter about my posting styles.

i exist on every major forum as someone other than myself with the exception of elite traders maybe. "even they" kicked me off a couple of months ago. that is until a riot by some old timers when the moderators claimed i was some new spammer. that was pretty funny to see them get educated.

but i am happy to be here for real i always liked Lawrence and respected him and am glad to see the software is progressing apparently well. i do still use ts as some know i have hacked it into my own shape to accept feeds directly from tt which at least make the auto trading accurate as can be.

i have been working on the signals going out to place orders and once reported actually fills dictate where the buy sell arrows are placed on the chart. the systems reporting also reflects actually account balance information, no longer hypothetical.

change subject: oddball made me more money that i ever made in my life and quick. those who got on it in the beginning made a ton too. there was lots of speculation about why it began to fail. rather than throw it away myself and some others shortly thereafter went underground to work out some theories.

i discovered that the only problem with oddball was the way it looked at or sampled the data. to date i am personally still using it's incarnation as a day trading system, the original natural hour and a eod version. i am pathetic i trade that one market.

however i am going to start trading forex soon and will be really concentrating on applying oddball principles to the worlds forex markets. i am really excited about that. i really need to write a few dozen books as i would hate for all the stuff i have discovered to get set out with the trash along side the old cray one day when i leave this existence.

i am starting to get the urge to publish again in vast quantities, which of course will again cause a riot most likely. mb
Old 10-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Mark,

It's been a long time since we last exchanged emails - at least 5 or 6 years

Very interesting that you are going to trade forex.

I have done some research into forex data but no significant discovery yet. Probably need to spend more time on that when I get the time needed.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Kiers

Does someone on this forum trade OddBall at this moment on one of the e-mini markets? I would like to share ideas/experiences. Please let me know here with a reply and/or at my email addres edkiers2002@hotmail.com

Last edited by Kiers; 05-28-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Regular User

First of all thank you to Mark Brown and Lawrence for their contributions to Futures trading system development. I do remember years ago combing any threads I could regarding the oddball system and it's variations (although not as timely as asptrader). In fact one reason I became a Neoticker client is because Lawrence so freely shared his system research and ideas including that of the better oddball system - information which in the past I had to paid for in the form of purchasing systems and expensive books.

Mark and Lawrence I do hope you both publish books (perhaps you already have) in part to document your contributions to this area of endeavor. Btw I would be curious how one would take a oddball approach to things like currencies or other markets where breadth data such as advancing issues is not readily available or where there is no underlying compoment of individual issues from which to generate that data.

Last edited by Kel108; 12-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: